Thursday, July 12, 2007

Hiding emotions




Of all the skills I have picked up through the outlet of theater, I have to say, the one I am most thankful for is the ability to hide my emotions. I began to learn this lesson when I was young, however, in 10Th grade my drama teacher verbalised this to me. I was having some family issues that she knew about, and she was always willing to give advice or just listen. This one particular time I was telling her how I couldn't stand my step mom. She told me to think of it as a performance, when things get rough don't lose control of your emotions. Think of yourself as a performer playing the role. That way you will feel like you are in control. I still follow this advice and it helps me, a LOT! The first thing you learn as a performer is to only allow the audience to see what you wish them to see. When people can see your emotions they find your weakness. By allowing them to see whats most beneficial to you, you protect yourself. I'm not saying be cold, but its a vicious world. Especially in theater, people are most competitive and if they discover your weakness they will tear you apart. Don't be cold, just be wary.

No comments: